Friday, September 23, 2011

Down the Muddy Trail to Grasslands National Park



We left Manyberries and headed south to 501, the "muddy" road that runs just north of the Montana border which took us into Saskatchewan. I took about 90 minutes to get to Consul were we got out of the mud. It was a beautiful trip. We saw 2 trucks and a lot of cattle.
How muddy was it, have a look at the truck, picture taken on Consul. The other side was worse. I cannot imagine what kind of a trip it must have been through this part of the country on horse back or worse yet in wagons. The mud instantly sticks to everything and when it dries it is like concrete!


The next stop was in Eastend to see the T-Rex exhibit. I was waiting to buy a ticket and over heard two guys saying they were on their way to Manyberries. So me, being the big mouth that I am, asked them what they were driving. They said a Toyota Prius. I suggested before they decided to take the Red Coat Trail across they might want to have a look at my truck when they went out to the parking lot.

We took the road south to Val Marie which is were the main information centre for Grasslands is located. After getting some information we headed to our campground for that night. It is called The Crossing Resort (http://www.crossingresort.com/) and I highly reccomend it to anyone who wants to visit the Grasslands. They have a great facility and are located right on the edge of the park. There are lots of trails to explore right from the campsite.


Our Camp site, red building is a cooking and eating area.

I smells something!

A view of the Campsite
To be continued in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment